Medical Laboratory Professionals Week (MLPW)
April 21–27, 2019
Medical Laboratory Professionals Week (MLPW) is your time each year to be recognized and your chance to celebrate your staff's outstanding performances and accomplishments!
Stay tuned for updated resources to help you celebrate in 2019. In the meantime, check out the list below for some ideas to get you started!
Spread the Word
Here are several resources to help you spread the word about MLPW and how your laboratory is positively impacting patient outcomes.
- Promote, promote, promote: Include the MLPW logo and use customized taglines for your email signature, voicemail or LinkedIn profile.
- Reach out to the press: Send a press release to your local media-including television and radio stations, regional newspapers, and city officials-or ask your facility's PR department to help you spread the message.
- Write a letter to the administration: Request your administration's attendance at certain events or ask them to highlight the importance of the laboratory in your hospital or facility's internal and external communications.
- Go viral: Share social media posts with your followers and provide suggested posts to your facility's marketing team. Share personal or patient stories (with permission), photos, and videos that show the value of the laboratory in patient care! Make sure to use #LabWeek to spread the word!
- Take pictures to commemorate your Lab Week celebration! Share your photos and your celebration story on CLMA's Facebook Page or email them to email@example.com.
Celebrate Your Team
Host a MLPW celebration for your team and invite other key stakeholders to show their appreciation for the value of the work your staff does by joining in the festivities!
- Host a potluck lunch, healthy treat, or dessert day: Facilitate a recipe swap or a cook-off challenge-or just bring in some good food to enjoy each other's company!
- Give out awards: Host an awards ceremony and print certificates of appreciation to present to each of your staff members.
- Say thanks!: A handwritten thank-you note is always appreciated. Ask your administration and other key stakeholders to show their thanks, too, by signing your note or writing one of their own.
Open the Laboratory
The laboratory is a foreign place to many people - possibly even to people within your facility! Open up your workplace to help demystify this often little-known place.
- Host a "laboraTOURy" open house: Invite employees, patients, local students, and other community groups to take a tour of your laboratory. Think like a lay-person and explain what happens to a sample from the moment a patient provides it to the time their doctor uses the results to make a diagnosis to guide treatment decisions.
- Participate in a health fair: Make plans to attend the next community or hospital health fair. Gather materials and prepare to discuss how your laboratory positively affects patient health every day.
Get Out into the Community
Engage in the community to raise awareness of the opportunities for a career in the laboratory and also build morale amongst your team.
- Present to a high school or college class: Help ensure a healthy pool of laboratorians for the future! Bring your team and explain what you do to help patients on a daily basis, outlining how students can create their own career path within the laboratory.
- Volunteer: Do something great for the community as a team - volunteer with a local health care organization or participate in a blood drive.